Sunday, August 24, 2008

It Was God Who Paid the Price for Me

Many of us have heard this story or seen this video, or one like it. The story about a father and son team who runs triathlons and marathons. Grueling to say the least for any of us who have contemplated participating in one, and those who actually have. But this father and son team is different, the son can’t walk or talk. If you are unfamiliar with the story, go read it here.

Tonight I stumbled across a video of this team while checking out GodTube. Although I had seen videos of this team before, this one moved me. Maybe it was the song that accompanied it. Maybe because I have just finished a prayer vigil with a group of wonderful warrior women, all of us whom have been challenged by the enemy in major and heartbreaking ways to move us off track from what God is calling us to do. Maybe it was because I have been feeling just how big God is and how small I am, in spite of years of youthful thinking that “I” could do great things for God, and now realizing it is not me at all, but God in me…something I think I knew, but that God is bringing to such a deeper level right now. Like Paul, I am understanding the meaning of my own nothingness with out God.
As I watched this video I saw clearly a picture of what God does for us. We get to ride along and experience the race, we may even get attention for being part of that race, feel the extraordinary highs of victories and the bone wrenching sadness of defeats. But in reality, it is God who is powering our race. It is God who is in control. It is God who takes us along with him in this race we call life. And is it God who sacrificed everything, sending his only son to pay the price so that we can run this race to the finish to receive that wonderful crown at the end and live that wonderful promised eternity with our Father.

No comments: